The kitchen is the most frequent area of the house to change. This fact is not a surprise since the kitchen is the house’s focal point and attracts the most emphasis from owners. It is also a must-have for prospective buyers if you plan to sell your home. Living in your house will be more pleasant with a renovated kitchen, and selling it will be simple.
Your kitchen cabinets will likely be your first area of concern if you want to improve your area. An antiquated finish or style can make your entire space look gloomy. And sometimes, there are situations when repainting your existing doors and drawers will not just do the job. So, you may have run across many sources for customized kitchen cabinets vs. modular cabinets if you have considered investing in new cabinetry for your home.
However, how does each differ, and why may you prefer each other? Continue reading to find out how each cabinet style is different and which can suit your wants and expectations the best.
Modular Kitchen Cabinets
A modular kitchen cabinet is a readymade piece that serves a clear function and can operate alone in your space. Semi-custom cabinets are another name for modular cabinets. Modular cabinets are independent of other cabinets and thus can be easily stacked or installed to make a more complex cabinetry style and design. The hardware, such as drawers, handles, shelves, hinges, and the like, will readily fit the units because these kitchen cabinets come with streamlined attachments.
Throughout history, modular cabinets came to be to meet the requirement for cabinetry in both remodeling and new homes. Modular kitchen cabinets, in the manufacturing aspect, increase work efficiency and restrict the sizes that can be created to maximize production efficiency. Novice house builders often install modular kitchen cabinets. All of the large and known cabinetry companies around the country and the world stock and market these cabinets.
Pros and Cons of Modular Kitchen Cabinets
Modular cabinets are a viable alternative for several homeowners. The following are some benefits of modular cabinets.
- Modular cabinets are cheaper and easier to installModular cabinets are less expensive than custom cabinets. There are two factors why: first, cheaper labor. Because you will be conducting the installation manually, suppliers are not required to include the installation price in the purchase. Second, the cheaper cost of shipping. Modular cabinets are sent in compact packages, which need far less shipping space and are more affordable. You will not have to wait until they can be put together, which is an additional bonus. Since the parts are frequently in stock, there is frequently no delay.
- Saves on spaceSeveral modular kitchen cabinets offer additional storage and a smoother workflow with a simple and seamless pace. You will be able to achieve this if you put in effective and thorough planning with an experienced kitchen designer. Modular kitchen cabinets include additional storage such as cutlery sections, built-in bottle racks, cup and plate holders, and many more. You can also utilize your corners of the kitchen for more usable spaces for carousels or Susan connectors.
- Acceptable construction qualityFew reputable manufacturers previously offered subpar modular cabinets. As a result, the modular cabinets acquired a negative reputation for being substandard. Today, there are decent-quality modular kitchen cabinets on the market, even though they are still not on par with custom cabinets with high-grade construction. This idea is especially true now that more well-regarded companies have entered the market. It is possible to select modular cabinets with solid wood frames, full-extension drawer glides, dovetail joints, stained or glazed finishes, and many other features. As a result, today’s market offers a wider range of options from which you can select based on your expectations and budget.
Modular cabinets are not without their drawbacks. Since modular cabinets are created for mass production, it is well-recognized that they do not have the same level of construction quality as custom kitchen cabinets.
Moreover, most do not offer a warranty because the manufacturer cannot guarantee that you will construct the modular cabinets properly. Your modular cabinets may be harmed by improper assembly, which can accelerate part failure. Without a manufacturer’s warranty, you will be responsible for paying for any repairs or replacements if you make an error or damage the cabinets.
Additionally, although the market’s inventory of modular cabinets is continually growing, it still falls short of the variety of options you will have when obtaining custom cabinets. You may need to compromise color, design, or functionality to select a modular model that would fit nicely in your home. This idea is especially true if you seek items in compact sizes, unique colors, or items that fit into oddly shaped spaces.
Custom Kitchen Cabinets
Unlike premade modular cabinets, custom cabinets are created and carefully adapted to fit a particular room, in this case, a kitchen. The cabinet’s size, usefulness, and appearance are only a few examples of these alterations.
Aside from providing its basic function of storing food, cookware, cutlery, and glassware, custom kitchen cabinets are frequently integrated with appliances to provide a more cohesive kitchen look and design.
Custom kitchen cabinets can be attached to the ceilings or the flooring. They are created after expert cabinet makers carefully evaluate the available space in the kitchen. Creating custom kitchen cabinets is a reasonably easy process. However, it takes time from planning to installation. Before transporting everything to the client’s house to be put together and installed, some of the cabinet’s customized components are constructed in a different location.
Pros and Cons of Custom Kitchen Cabinets
- Choose according to your preferencesChoosing a custom kitchen cabinet means being completely independent and able to choose every aspect of the cabinet, from its measurements to its accessories, color, design, finish, and many more. Custom kitchen cabinets can be constructed to order, as opposed to modular ones, which are frequently dull, boring, and repetitive in design.Furthermore, it is simpler to design custom kitchen cabinets around your belongings, including the dimensions of your appliances, kitchen tools, or even the type of kitchenware you use. It is simpler to fit a customer’s particular desires, such as wider compartments for bigger cutlery, larger containers, or even the designated storage system. As a result, personalization is still present after cabinet customization.
- xcellent qualityTo put it plainly, a custom kitchen cabinet manufacturer will never suggest using any poor or substandard materials. Furthermore, a custom kitchen cabinet is constructed only with the best construction methods and styles. This is compared to premade or modular kitchen cabinets that often compromise construction or quality for mass production. Custom kitchen cabinets are usually made with wood and similar materials to ensure that it lasts a lifetime and can survive harsh conditions in the kitchen.
- Increased rate of returnWhen life span is considered, you could be spending a little bit more upfront, but custom kitchen cabinets yield a considerably larger return on investment. Most custom kitchen cabinets come with a solid lifetime guarantee, with the hope that you will not need to replace them for a while. Furthermore, if you plan to sell your house in the future, a custom kitchen is more appealing to potential buyers, increasing the value of your home.
The cost of custom kitchen cabinets is undoubtedly its biggest drawback. The cost of custom kitchen cabinets is the highest of all kitchen cabinet styles, and for a good reason. Being able to customize the look of your kitchen completely is satisfying but also expensive. Any personalized product will cost a little more to order than a mass-produced equivalent, and cabinetry is no exception.
Furthermore, manufacturing custom kitchen cabinets take a lot of time, which is another drawback. Custom cabinets typically take 6 to 8 weeks to produce because they are manufactured to order for each customer. You can also expect delays and mistakes along the way, adding to the time you need to wait for it to be installed in your home.
So, which should you select: custom or modular kitchen cabinets? Custom kitchen cabinets are unquestionably the better option in terms of quality. However, that does not imply they are the best choice for everyone. Some people are searching for something inexpensive, uncomplicated, and simple, which sums up the advantages of modular kitchen cabinets. Premade kitchen cabinets won’t amaze you, but they won’t cause inconvenience unless you find the proper dimension.
Ultimately, price is the only factor preventing everyone from choosing custom cabinets over modular ones. But they might cost much less than you anticipate, particularly if you only have to acquire customized cabinet doors. Adding customized doors can make your kitchen cabinets look new if they are in good condition and you are satisfied with their design and placement. For a fee even less than what brand-new modular kitchen cabinets would cost, custom cabinet doors allow you to update and modify the appearance of your cabinets. Your cabinets will receive a comprehensive makeover at a fraction of the price of having them replaced.
- LivSpace. 2022. Modular vs Carpenter-Made Kitchens: 4 Reasons Why Hiring a Carpenter Is a Mistake. Retrieved from: https://www.livspace.com/in/magazine/kitchens101-modular-kitchen-vs-carpenter-made-kitchens. Retrieved on 2 November 2022.
- Mr Cabinet Care. 2020. Difference between Custom and Modular Kitchen Cabinets. Retrieved from: https://www.mrcabinetcare.com/difference-custom-modular-kitchen-cabinets/. Retrieved on 2 November 2022.
- Renovation Find Blog. 2020. Custom Cabinets Vs Stock Cabinets: Pros And Cons. Retrieved from: https://blog.renovationfind.com/custom-cabinets-vs-stock-cabinets-pros-and-cons/. Retrieved on 2 November 2022.
- Ross’s Discount Home Centre. 2021. Pros And Cons Of Pre-Assembled Kitchen Cabinets. Retrieved from: https://discount.com.au/kitchen/pros-and-cons-of-pre-assembled-kitchen-cabinets/. Retrieved on 2 November 2022.